[AT] question on use of resistor on coil

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Oct 24 08:55:24 PDT 2004

Cecil:

It is amazing how some suppliers can make things inordinately complex. I
sometimes wonder if it is deliberately done to frustrate us home mechanics
trying to force us to use shop labor. But it is just probably laziness of
the original vendor when marking and packaging the part. I see no reason to
label a coil 12 V when in application it is intended to be applied with 6V
nominal on it.

It would make sense to me if a coil with an internal resistor was marked 12V
and one w/o marked 6V but I guess that would be too simple.

However, I think your real problem is nothing more than a new set of points
would solve.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door