[AT] question on use of resistor on coil

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Sat Oct 23 19:14:19 PDT 2004

The reason for the ballast resister is to keep  the higher voltage (12) from
burning the points.  It won't hurt the  coil.  the reason you don;t see them
in some early GMC vehicles is because  they had a resister wire from the key
switch to the coil. It was very  stiff.  I have seen people who didn't know this
that would replace it with  a standard wire and wonder why they kept buring
up the points. Of course in the  days before electronic ignitions we were lucky
to get 10,000 miles out a set of  points and spark plugs. I think I changed
them on my Saab Sonett more than I did  the oil.
My 97 ford Ranger says to tune it up when it reaches 100,000  miles.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361
503  623-0460