[AT] question on use of resistor on coil

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sat Oct 23 16:10:19 PDT 2004

Cecil,

In the last year I've bought a coil from NAPA and one from my nearest Case
IH dealer.  The instructions that came with both of these coils said to use
an external ballast resistor when connecting to 12 volt systems but for 6
volt systems the external resistor was not needed.

FWIW - A typical automotive ignition coil has an internal resistance of
approximately one ohm.  When starting an engine with a 12 volt system the
output of the battery is normally routed directly to the coil thus resulting
in a current through the coil of approximately 12 amps.
Note: The current through the coil is determined by dividing the battery
output (volts) by the coil resistance (ohms).  Once the engine has started
(that is, once the key is released from Start to Run) the output from the
battery is usually "re-routed" through an external resistor (often called a
ballast resistor) of a few ohms and then to the coil.

If this external resistor were not in 12 volt systems the continual high
current (i.e., the 12 amps) through the coil would likely burn it up after a
relatively short period of time.
Note: The heat generated in (and dissipated by) the coil is the product of
the current squared times the resistance (that is, 12 times 12 divided by 1)
or approximately 144 watts.

In 6 volt systems the external ballast resistor is normally not used.  The
current though the coil, which is approximately 6 amps, is the same both
when starting the engine as well as when running the engine.  A current of 6
amps through a one ohm coil results in approximately 36 watts of generated
heat which the coil should be able to dissipate.

Hope this doesn't cause any confusion -
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington

In typical use the coil is connected in series with a ballast resistor of a
few ohms to reduce the voltage, which in turn reduces the current through
the coil so it doesn't burn up. The ballast resistor isn't used during
cranking (when the battery voltage is usually reduced to around 6-8 volts).
A typical DC coil resistance would be around an ohm, and at 12 Volts, the DC
current would be 12 Amps, dissipating more than a 100 watts.