[AT] Hit & Miss-Cross post

Dave Ernst dadadidi at cccomm.net
Sat Oct 23 16:02:40 PDT 2004

I posted this on the Engine list, but maybe someone here can help and offer
an opinion on the Manufacturer and identity of this engine.
Thanks
Dave

 Hi folks!
 I'm in a dilemma with this engine.
 There are updated photos at:
 http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009545&a=31365971&vt=vp

 I need opinions as to what this engine actually is. It has a 4 1/2" bore
 and  6" stroke. The references referred to below are page numbers from the
 "Bible", or in other words Mr Wendels book.
 Page 37, upper right hand corner shows an Associated that could be it, the
 mixer looks right, but has a base.
 Page 145 upper left shows an Eastern built by Esco. The hopper is slightly
 different, but it was built by Associated.
 Page 199 in the center shows a Galloway, same hopper, bore & stroke and
 head with the same pushrod mount, but with a bipolar magneto.
 Page 299 upper right shows a Sandow engine. It was built in Waterloo and
 has a similarity to the Associated and Galloway, but the hopper doesn't
 overhang above the head. Same with the Power King engines show below on
 the same page.
 Page 315 upper left shows a Monmoth engine probably built by  Galloway,
 but has a short hopper and no mixer assembly that I can see.
 Page 465 upper left shows a Sheldon engine, built by McManus and is a
 Waterloo built engine. The head is thinner and the hopper is short.
 Page 471 lower left shows a Faultless, built by Waterloo, but again with a
 short hopper and thinner head and maybe a different hopper or as shown
 with a lid.
 Page 534 shows Waterloo engines and I cannot find one with a similar
 hopper, so that's probably out.

 I'm getting ready to paint and decal this thing, but I would sure like to
 put the correct stuff on it. As you can see, I'm kinda confused but I
 think it's a Galloway. I read somewhere in CH's book that the magnetos
 were optional back then.

 So what are the opinions out there?

 Thanks in advance
 Dave