[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

Rob Wilson rowilson at infinet.com
Fri Oct 22 20:22:19 PDT 2004

Larry,
 That's now code for building a new fireplace. It must
have external air feeding it for combustion. When I had
ours built the mason told me this and put it in. We
wanted an old style called a Rumford and I thought it
was going to be hard to find a mason to build it but the
supplier of most of the parts listed a local guy that
was great. Rumford's were used to actually heat with
and are rather odd looking compared to most modern style
fireplaces. They are very shallow and use no grate for
the logs to rest on. The logs are stacked against the
back wall and burn standing on end. The floor has the
clean out connected to the outside air and draws it like
a blast furnace. It starts VERY easily and puts out a
lot of heat. Here's a link to the one we built. It's
a little different but not much. There's a ton of info
on this site. The one in the picture is actually not
being used correctly as the logs were not stacked on
end.

http://www.rumford.com/cookfp.html

Rob