[AT] not far OT

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 20:10:41 PDT 2004

Charlie:
I had Pneumonia in April.  Have not completely got over it  yet.   I was
thinking that this year was the one I would break down  and take the flu shot.

We have 2 Polaris 300 4X4 ATVs here.  There are not many days that I  do not
use mine.  Dad first bought his 98 with about 100  miles on it  2 years ago in
April.  First one we had.  I late bought mine at a  auction sale in October.
It was a 95 model.  It had a small tool box  built in and had the steel
racks.  I like the older ones.  They do not  have all the plastic fairing.
However, Polaris has a bad habit around here  of needing starters replaced.  The
brush kit from Polaris is $50.  It  is $20 from Stockers Starters in CA.  The
replacement starter is $120 from  Stockers, and $300 from Polaris.    I quit
counting when I hit  $2500 in parts trying to rebuild my 95 model after I got it.
I might add  that I drove it when I bought it also....  They are tough, but
expensive.....  If I get another one, I doubt that it will be a Polaris due  to
the starter problem.  We put one on each one of ours each year....   It is a
6 hjour job for us to change the starter.  My 300 also has a bad  habit of
breaking the top motor mount.  The last one I added a 1/4 inch  thick plate to
and it has held...
I have a 4 X 6 tandem axle dump trailer I pull behind mine for all kinds of
work around the farm.  I believe the ATV has replaced the Jeep.  It  will not
replace a tractor, but it can replace a horse.  It will travel  over wet
ground and not leave a track.  they are great for gathering sheep  or catle...
They will also move horses that do not want to herd.....

If I was to buy another one, it would be a Bombardier.  I think they  are the
best buy for the mnoney.  I also would want to get one that I knew  the
treatment and service It had received....

Cecil in OKla