[AJD] How deep to plow?

Robert E. Harris deere.robert at verizon.net
Fri Oct 22 17:44:03 PDT 2004

:)    ahhhh, plowing.  Sort of.

I decided to kill several birds with one stone, an unconventional stone
but....

1) new garden spot, never before plowed, 125x80. stripped off the sod with
the front end loader after a good rain, like peeling a peach.
2) new JD 1070 compact tractor with backhoe... no experience with a backhoe,
before now that is.
3) the mother of all cow poop piles that needed to be moved/disposed of.

since I don't yet have an appropriate plow for my 1070 I decided to backhoe
the garden spot. This allowed me to break-up the hardpan and go deep, get
LOTS of practice in the operation of a backhoe, dispose of 30 yards of cow
poop and chopped straw and spend the maximum amount of quality alone time
playing. What I was told about backhoes seems correct to me,
practice-practice-practice, and rhythm. put the 3 pt rototiller on it
several times and now it's sleeping until June.
Yes, I know... that might be a bit much nitrogen on the garden spot... in
fact I'm sure you can see it from satellites,
but since the garden won't be planted until late next spring the extension
agent said it was a grand plan. Not sure she is convinced of my sanity but,
oh well.

Bobby