[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Fri Oct 22 13:32:52 PDT 2004

There were also many German immigrants to the region I live in. They
came largely in the late 1700's up into the early to mid 1800's and
settled in the region that is still informally called "Pennsylvania
Dutch" country (Dutch being a misnomer for their language "Deutch"). The
house I live in was built by German immigrants as best I can determine
(their name was "Delp") shortly after 1800. It is said that many of them
learned of this land that was relatively inexpensive and workable for
farming from the many German ("Hessian") mercinaries who fought for the
British in the Revolutionary War and later returned to europe (There was
no actual country of "Germany" until much later)..

Rob
NE PA