[AJD] How deep to plow?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Oct 22 15:26:36 PDT 2004

Lois:

That is a little deeper than farmers plow. But in the garden if you were
still bringing up black dirt you are probably ok. Typically one only plows
8" to 10" deep but not deeper than the good top soil. Don't want to bring
the bad soil to the top.

In my wife's garden the first time I plowed I probably got 18" deep too. But
there wasn't any good soil. Now after a few turns at plowing, rototilling
and much horse manure it is probably good top soil 18" deep.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com