[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Oct 22 08:25:37 PDT 2004

Even with the blowers, precipitators, bag houses, and everything else
that modern stacks have to have on them, they whistle.  And air currents
are really hard to predict.  If it wasn't so, meteorologists would have
better reputations, and HVAC systems wouldn't have to be balanced after
installation.  I have yet to see an industrial stack that was "detuned"
to the point that the plume didn't wave when the wind is blowing.

BTW- Just to remind you where I'm coming from on some of this ramble, I
tune and repair pianos and organs as a sideline interest.  A number of
years ago, I put together a dog and pony show called "Strings, Bells,
Horns, and Whistles".  In it, I demonstrated in junior high schools the
fundamental methods for generating musical tones as a background for the
band and orchestra instruments that we have.  One of the demos I gave
the kids was to put the end of a corrugated toilet water supply pipe in
my mouth and blow bugle calls on it.  You don't even have to pucker and
buzz your lips to make it work.

Larry