[AT] OT Barn floor question

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Oct 21 10:40:07 PDT 2004

I can agree on the poor durability of poplar lumber. However, it will last
indefinitely if kept dry, like most lumber I suppose. My Dad had a barn
built of poplar dimension lumber in 1954 . It was sided with some type of
narrow spruce or fir boards to cover the poplar. Inside those poplar beams
are as solid as the day they were installed.
On the barn floor question, this barn had all cement floors and has had only
cattle in it. The horse era ended on this farm right about the time this
barn was built. In any case, horses did not spend much time in barns in
those days, even in the winter.
All the old pioneer buildings here were constructed of poplar logs since
thats all that was available at the time. Its surprising just how many of
these old log buildings are still standing even after a hundred years of
weather exposure. The ones I'm familiar with were originally covered over
with some type of lathes and plaster which likely gave some measure of
weather protection.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/