[AT] OT Barn floor question

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Thu Oct 21 04:24:35 PDT 2004

> Cecil's post on this subject a couple of days ago got me to thinking of my
> growing up days after the war on our little farm.  The two farms immediately
> to our West both still had horses.  One farmer had bought a Farmall H during
> the war and the other bought a WC Allis shortly after the war.  However,
> both farmers kept their horses until the early fifties.   As I recall, for
> the first three or four years after the war the only real tractor implements
> these farmers had were a moldboard plow and a tandem disc.   These farmers
> had worked horses since they were kids and it seemed that they were unable
> to get rid of them cold turkey when they acquired a tractor.  During the
> summers I hired out to them from time to time and drove their teams pulling
> such light implements as a spike tooth harrow, a single row cultivator, a
> hay rake and hay wagons, first with loose hay and then a couple of years
> later baled hay.  None of these horses had ever been shoed and, except for
> feeding or harnessing, they spent very little time in a barn.

	Yes, you are right, Dudley. You could have been describing my father
by just changing the tractors to a Ford 9N and an IHC 10-20 tractor. One other
thing is that although our horses did spend most of the year outside, my father
always kept them all inside all winter because of the very cold weather in
Minnesota. So, they spent the winter on concrete floors and the rest of the
year in the pasture or doing light work. Winters in Minnesota are usually about
10 months long with 2 months of tough sledding...... :-)

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson