[AT] OT Barn floor question

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Oct 21 04:05:10 PDT 2004

If the horse is going to stay in the stall a good bit of the time hygene is
very important.  Horses aren't know to pick their spots and don't mind
standing in what they do.  However this isn't very good for their hoof
health.  You know the old addage 'No Hoof...No Horse"

The main concern I would think is to have a very well drained floor and that
would mean sand, crushed stone, etc.  In fact if I were building a stable
I'd want a French drain running down deep under each stall.   If I did have
a stall with a concrete floor I'd want a thick layer of shavings, sand or
something to cushion the horses feet.

Just my thoughts.   Oh yeah.  Plywood is NOT an option.

Charlie