[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

Mark Greer greerfam at raex.com
Wed Oct 20 21:10:59 PDT 2004

You can line it yourself with vitreous clay tile liners. You work from the
top and lower a section of the tile down into place and then pour a soupy
mortar mix around the outside of the tile to fill in the space between it
and the existing chimney. Next you lower another section down on top of the
first and fill around it the same way and so on until you are relined all
the way to the top. I got loaned out to a mason contractor friend of my
Dad's one summer when I was a kid and this was one of the jobs we did that
summer. I mixed more mortar that summer than I care to remember.
Mark