[AT] Used Tires

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Oct 20 03:10:38 PDT 2004

Joe brings up a good question: what to do with used tractor tires. I
have a couple of sets of tires that I removed from my Super M and other
tractors. They are not completely shot but only have about 25% tread.
They have been sitting the "milk room" in my neighbor's dairy barn, but
I suspect that she wouldn't mind my getting them out of there. I would
dispose of them, but they charge $20 around here to take tractor tires,
so I would love to find someone to take them off my hands.

An excellent suggestion someone made was to put the tubes back inside
them and inflate them. This is especially important if they are stored
outside - it will keep water from accumulating inside and prevent
mosquitoes from breeding. Old tires lying around are among the favorite
breeding sites for some of the species of mosquitoes that carry West
Nile virus (WNV).

Mike