[AT] OT Barn floor question

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Oct 18 20:18:35 PDT 2004

Weren't the "uppity-up" horse barns paved with wood blocks?  I can't
remember the correct name for it, but it's wooden blocks placed on end
so the end grain of the wood is the floor surface.  It's similar to
parquet, but that's not what it's called -- built like a butcher block.
If I remember correctly the carriage house of the Reitz home here in
Evansville still has some of the original stall floor left that is like
that, and so is the stables/restaurant at the Biltmore in Ashville.
Wood 4X4's about a foot long -- set on end in sand.

Larry