[AT] Gib Key removal tools

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Sun Oct 17 14:41:02 PDT 2004

Richard Strobel wrote:

>   Howdy all;
> Well here are two New Holland Gib key removal tools.  They are made with a
> 10 degree bevel (which keeps the tool from "walkin' out").
>
>    I've never seen these before but the owner says they are
> inexpensive..dunno and we don't have a NH dealer close by.
>
>     Not sure whether they are used together or made LH and RH for
> accessability.  The owner says they either work or they don't..probably 20%
> of the former and 80% of the latter...and especially on NH stuff.
>
>   I've put them on graph paper with 1/4" squares so you can visualize the
> size, and I've removed the rubber handles.
>
>    So far with a 5/8" Gib, we are not impressed with these tools.  Drill and
> gas axe did the trick:-)
>
> Here's the link to the picture:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/60686285/201050714CJPfMF
>
> Neat trivia I thot
>
> Take Care,
> RickinMt.
> http://community.webshots.com/user/stroberc

On a 5/8" key you could use both together, one from either
side. The secret is to hammer the extractors in to load the
key then hit the face of the hub as if to drive the flywheel
or pulley further onto the shaft, This usually will free the
key. Always good to leave room behind the flywheel or pulley
when refitting for this reason.

Curved punches were also made for driving keys out from behind
if room was sufficient..

One of these, is the bee's knees, for bigger keys:

http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/keyextracta.jpg

Tom