[AT] OT Barn floor question

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Oct 18 07:40:37 PDT 2004

> At the risk of offending many... Why Amish?  I know they are hard workers, but there are others with better skills who can and will build exactly what you want.  There are even some that aren't of the WASP persuasion.
>
> Why choose a workman based on his religion?  Or why not?
>
> George Willer

	I think it is a good question, George, and shouldn't offend
anyone. In our area, most people consider contacting Amish or Mennonites
to build farm buildings (or do repairs, such as re-nailing roofs, etc)
as they are known to charge less than most local contractors.

	My oldest daughter and my SIL, who live in the Finger Lakes area
in western New York, hired Amish to build a pole type construction garage
several years ago. They came as a family, a father and two or three of his
sons, and built a very nice 2 1/2 car garage in week's time. They were not
unknown in the area and were known for excellent work and low prices. They
started work in mid morning after their chores were done and left in mid
afternoon to do the evening chores. My daughter and SIL were not disappointed
and feel they saved several thousand dollars.

	My father and a friend of his, both retired farmers, did this type
work for years after he quit farming and moved to town. He loved being out
and around and doing this type work. They charged a lot less and worked at
their own pace. Sort of like the Amish and Mennonites do today. The money
wasn't as important as leaving something behind for when he was gone - so
to speak. Sadly, an accident while doing soffits and fascia on a new house
resulted in his death in the late 1960s. People still say to us sometimes,
"You know, your father built my machine shed." or something similar. So he
did leave something behind.

Cecil

Cecil
what you said.