[AT] OT Barn floor question

Matthew matthewx at dogod.com
Mon Oct 18 05:35:30 PDT 2004

There was a big discussion regarding cement here a while back.  I have a project coming up that I could use some insight on.

I am buying a pre built Amish shed / barn for my animals.  They claim that they can not move it without a floor in place as it would not be rigid enough.  The barn is 12 x 32 which will wind up being two 12x12 stalls and an 8 foot breezeway between then with a  door on each side of the breezeway.  I plan to put it right along the fence line so the breezeway can act as a way into and out of their area.

I have concerns that the floor will not be strong enough to hold a horse, so I have been thinking about prying the floor up once they have it in position and hiring someone to come out and pour cement in the spaces between the floor joists.  I was also thinking about putting the plywood back on to make the floor .softer. and .warmer..

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?  The barn will be sitting on some extant lawn, and some area that I have just recently leveled out.

--Matthew