[Steam-engine] Russell Gas tractor.

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Mon Oct 18 05:34:05 PDT 2004

Ken Eder from North Carolina bought it.  Eder has a collection of 150 other
gas and steam tractors.  He plans to establish a tractor museum in Carthage,
North Carolina.

A couple of my brothers live at Sioux Falls, not far from Freeman.  They
sent me their newspaper's article about the tractor and its selling price.
It didn't have much to say about Eder; instead, it mostly told the tractor's
history.

The tractor was sold by Orville Waltner, now 78.  It was nine years old when
he was born.  He remembers it being used fro threshing, grading roads,
pulling trees and moving snow.

The machine cost $3,000, new, in 1917.  Its cost in today's dollars would
have been $45,000.  The owner repaired the radiator, once, at a cost of
$1,500, but that was the only major expense on it.

The last time the tractor was used was in 1948 to move a house onto the
Waltner farm.

One brother tells me he thought it had been stored, since, in a shed.  From
the looks of it in the picture, this must be so.  It's in very good
condition.

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA