[Ford-ferguson] Parts Search

Michael Kopke kopke8 at netonecom.net
Sat Oct 16 00:46:08 PDT 2004

I am currently working on what I have been told is a 1962 Ford 4040 Industrial Tractor with a " Select-O-Speed " 10 speed transmission. I have the unit split and the rear axle disassembled. Everything from the final set of planetaries to the pinion gear along with the differential carrier housing is pretty much trash. This tractor has also been converted to 4WHL Drive, running off the transmission output shaft, thru the left side of the rear axle via a chain driven gearbox to the front drive shaft. It appears to be an after-market installation. I am having a hard time locating parts. I am thinking about converting the thing back to 2WHL Drive, ( The front axle doesn't feel all that great either.) Regardless of which way I decide to go, I will still need parts. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been offered a complete rear axle ass'y. with trade-in for $1000. It would be nice to keep it as a 4WHL Drive tractor, but I am trying to keep the cost down.I have also heard that Ford had worked on developing a 4WHL Drive model, but never got past the prototype and that the " Select-O-Speed " transmission was nothing but trouble. The unit came to me with metal shavings stuck in the valve body spools. I understand this is a common problemm. Does anyone know of a fix for this, like possibly a finer inlet screen? Is there a way to flush out the transmission without removing it? I am at a loss as to what to do, but I need to get it going ASAP. Any information regarding this project would be greatly appreciated.

                                           Michael L. Kopke
                                           kopke8 at netonecom.net