[AT] AC 615 Backhoe

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Fri Oct 15 19:30:14 PDT 2004

I borrowed a neighbor's backhoe today to fix my sewer problem.  He just
bought it and a AC D-17.  The backhoe looks like it shares some D-17 sheet
metal.

Beggers can't be picky, it did the job, but is pretty worn out.  It is just
outright dangerous in road gear, the front end is worn out, so it was a slow
trip over.  The engine sounds good and it didn't smoke much.  It started w/o
ether and it wasn't that warm today.  The hydralics were OK but everything
was loose.

The strangest thing was that the foot clutch didn't work.  It has what I
guess is a reverser on the left side, it's a BIG hand clutch.  It snaps over
to lock into forward and you pull it back for reverse.  He said it was
hydrostatic, but I think it might be a wet-clutch pack instead.

I always feel relieved when I get something borrowed returned without
breaking anything so everyone is happy.  We talked that it is a usable
machine to have around, but not something to earn a living with or work
every day.  He has a few houses to build, so might use it for a year and
sell it.  Probably get all or at least most of his money back.

---