[AT] Time to 'fess up

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Oct 15 12:10:33 PDT 2004

One of my first stupid tractor tricks that I can recall (I'm sure there were
many) was being sent to plow a filed by myself for the first time. I had to
be like 11 years old or something, it was during the Korean war. I had done
a lot of plowing by this time but my Dad had always done the finishing of
the dead furrow. Well this was my first time to do that.

I was plowing oats stubble ground with some remaining oats straw on the
field. I got to the last round and both rear tractor tires were now in their
respective furrows. We plowed pretty deep and the straw residue started
building up under the drawbar frame of the tractor. It wasn't long and all
of a sudden both tires were spinning and I wasn't going anywhere. I had high
centered the tractor.

I had failed to observe a trick my Dad used and that was to reduce the
furrow depth as he got close to the last round. There I was, stuck and a
mile and 1/2 from home and no one around to pull me free. I had to walk home
and get Dad to pull me through the last round. Never forgot that lesson!

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com