[AT] 100 year old stumps are nasty

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Oct 15 05:02:01 PDT 2004

	Gene and Gary, thanks for the comments. With all the rocks
we have here, the roots usually don't get too far or go very deep
but the exceptions can drive you nuts. I wish I could use a ripper.
It sounds like a great idea. Cutting the side roots is fine where
we don't have large guard rocks. I've cut side roots with the Vermeer
trencher by "sawing" thru them on all four sides but it is a slow
process. The stumps come right out though when the sides are cut.
I wish I could use dynamite but it makes the neighbors nervous - and
rightly so. I tried dynamite in the past when I was 18 years old and
working at a limestone quarry in southern Minnesota. It worked just
fine on the stump but there were other problems. I don't think all
of those of Norwegian descent should be allowed to use dynamite....

	I think the answer is to be sure the excavator is able to
handle the stumps and that means "bigger is better". Several of these
oaks stumps are all of 24 inches across the top.

	Thanks again.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson