[AT] Time to 'fess up

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Thu Oct 14 11:02:59 PDT 2004

My most stupid tractor mistake was leaving my 8N parked and running
without engaging the safety brake about 7 years ago. I was on what
looked to me like a flat area that was right near a steep hill. I'm not
sure if it was the vibration of the engine or what but after about 10
minutes of being parked the thing started to move. By the time I saw it,
it was barreling down the steep hill. The only thing that was between
the tractor and the big field at the bottom of the hill was a large old
hickory tree. Of course, my luck being what it was that day, the tractor
ran right into the tree at a decently fast speed. Fortunately it did not
hit right in the middle, but hit the axle on one side. I was lucky in
that the only things damaged were the front axle, wheel rim and the
stabilizing bar between the front axle and the main body of the tractor.
The axle and the stabilizing bar had to be replaced.

Not a smart move....

Rob
NE PA