[AT] 100 year old stumps are nasty (burning)

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Thu Oct 14 08:02:45 PDT 2004

Rick,

If you are out in the wide open spaces without nuisance burning rules it
should do the job for you.  To get it started, dig a small hole beside the
stump and fill it with something combustible.  Light the fire and introduce
the pipe providing draft.  You may find that you have to waste part of the
draft by adjusting the hose/pipe connection... only connect it tightly
enough to make as much draft as you need.  You'll be surprised that the
active burning  site becomes like a blowtorch, but don't overdo it with the
draft.  For a big or difficult stump you might consider rigging a way to
drip a little drain oil in.  It also helps to cover the burning part with
dirt, at least partly.

I'm sure the Dotson brothers may be able to add a little.  :-)

George Willer