[AT] 100 year old stumps are nasty

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Thu Oct 14 03:48:39 PDT 2004

> I have spent the last couple weeks removing a 12' diameter x 12' tall old
> growth cedar stump in our front yard. I first was able to burn about 2/3rds
> of it but a pretty substantial section just would not burn even though I lit
> several fires under it and around it with other wood.

	Reading this account makes me feel really good about hiring loggers
to come in and take down a hundred or so hardwood trees on property we own
and are going to build on. Some were over 2 feet in diameter at waist height
and most were 10" to 14".

	I have already figured if I try to pull these stumps one at a time,
I'll be close to 90 years old before I finish and will have lost interest in
building the house.  ;-(

	I was just wondering if anyone has experience with running an
excavator the size of the Komatsu 150 or a similar size Cat. I will have a
choice of either and can get a larger machine too if need be. Before I go to
the expense of having one delivered to the site, I want to be pretty sure it
will do the job. These stumps are green for the most part although some were
cut 6 years ago for timber. Most are red oak, black birch, black cherry or
American Beech with some soft maple also. The soil is very rocky and most of
these stumps have "guard rocks", if you know what I mean.

	Any comments from anyone who has pulled stumps like these with heavy
equipment would be appreciated. I have no problem running either of these
machines as I have been in the seat of them and had no problem with it. As you
probably figured, I intend to run the machine myself.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson