[AT] Old time gardens

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Oct 13 20:15:57 PDT 2004

My wife has had raised beds in her garden for several years. We even plumbed
valved (adjustable rates) water troughs in each bed so that she can
completely and automatically water each bed as there is a little down slope
to each bed. It works amazingly well.

I used to rotary till the garden each spring and fall but now with the
plumbing and more permanent beds we don't do that any more. All she does is
work the soil loose with a potato fork each spring and everything is ready
to go again.

She keeps the weeds down between the beds with roundup carefully applied. It
really is a low maintenance system and much easier on the back. She produces
enough each year to keep us in fresh and frozen foods for the whole year.

The only thing we have not had good luck with is sweet corn. And that is
hard to admit since we were both born and raised on Iowa corn farms. Either
we haven't added enough nitrogen or don't get enough hot sun in the summer.
Maybe a little of both.

She has even gotten back into displaying her canned goods at the Evergreen
State Fair and has received many blue ribbon awards and even best of class
occasionally. She really enjoys it. I support it but don't really take as
serious interest in it as she does. It is her therapy.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com