[AT] Old time gardens

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Wed Oct 13 16:53:26 PDT 2004

I'm wondering if other raised bed gardeners made their gardens with 1' or
more lift.

We had a few small raised beds at the last place we lived.  I didn't think
that raising them 6" higher made it all that much easier to bend over and
pull weeds.  The biggest advantage was that they were small, so there were
fewer weeds to pull.  Our garden is now 100' X 100' with 8' high deer fence
enclosing it.  We have fruit trees, and everything else we want to protect
from the deer, inside it.  I even use it for giving my g'ment trees a few
years of growth before they have to live out in the dangerous world.

I have been using the rototiller to do a lot of the soil preparation and
have seen the texture / tilth of the garden's soil deteriorate in just 3
years.  This fall, as the various areas of the garden have stopped producing
I have been running a garden tractor with a small cultivator through the
ground every time it is dry a few weeds pop up.  This has really done a nice
job on getting rid of some weeds that just seem to multiply after getting
cut up by the rototiller.  I have added some weight to the cultivator and
now it is operating like a small field cultivator in busting up the soil and
now the tilth seems to be getting back to where it was three years ago.  I
know that two years ago I rototilled when it was a little too wet and
everything just seemed to go down hill from there.  No amount of rototilling
seemed to bring the texture back, but these cultivators seem to have done
the job.  I am finding that this "bottom land" that hasn't been tilled for
50 years is different soil than the heavy clays that I am used to.  At any
rate, I am happy to see the soil respond to something.

When I operated the snapbean harvester - back in 1972, there was an ever
replenishing supply of beans from about 700 acres of fields that would end
up on the operator's platform of the IH 140.  They were the best beans I
ever had and love them raw better than cooked even today.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116