[AT] Good Tractor Day

budsteinich at internetwis.com budsteinich at internetwis.com
Tue Oct 12 11:56:26 PDT 2004

After way too many months of "where's my tractor" and
trying to find parts and the time to install/paint them, I
was able to get my Dad's '47 Farmall H running well enough
for him to drive for his 68th birthday.  Almost nothing
can beat the look of joy and pride on his face when he
started it up for the first time in over two years!!  It
still needs some work - paint touched up, few odd leaks
addressed, front rims finished, decals, distillate
manifold reinstalled, occasional governor sticking - but
he was as excited as I was to be able to drive it again.
 Amazing how "why would I want to show it off" turns into
"you know - if we're going to drive it in parades it needs
a new muffler."  It's not a perfect job, but when you
stand back a few feet, it's not too bad for a first effort
as restification (not counting my AC 190 pedal tractor).

This tractor has an interesting family history.  He bought
it used sometime in the 70's and originally hated it
because it would never start when he wanted to use it.  A
local implement dealer converted it over to a
coil/distributor ignition to fix that - didn't completely
solve the problem - we still always parked it on a hill
because the battery was always dead.  Then Dad's uncle put
a regulator & new generator on it - now it would control
the charge rate all by itself - no more turning the switch
for hi/low charge - and lots fewer dead battery episodes.
 Suddenly the old H was his favorite tractor.  When he had
to give up farming in 97, it was the only tractor he kept
- everything else went on the auction.  He had mentioned
fixing it up a few times, so I took on the task "without
his knowledge".

What really amazed me in the final dash to get it running
was the old girl started right up on the first attempt.
 I've rebuilt engines before, but this was the first time
one actually fired right up!  Normally I've managed to not
quite set something right and end up scratching my head a
while before they fire.  Must be she knew it was an
important event!

If you are ever in south central WI and see an H with a
proud Steinich on it, stop, say hi, and talk old iron with
us.

Dave