[AT] Old time gardens

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Tue Oct 12 00:22:37 PDT 2004

For my veggie garden this year I tried the "square foot" garden plan
although I modified it a little. In that plan you put boards down on all
of the pathways between beds and it makes for much less weeding. Garden
was about 45' X 25' in all. I turned the soil over with the 8N and plow
in the spring, worked the soil some by hand with a hoe and rake to
remove stones, laid the boards and put up a mesh deer fence. I did not
need to do too much weeding since the weeding was restricted to just
areas with veggies. I really think it is a great way to do a garden if
you want a medium size garden with lower than usual maintenance. This
year my garden had: 5 types of tomatoes (20+ plants in all), tomatillo,
green bean vines, 4 types of basil, watermelons, two types of
cantaloupe, honeydew melons, beets, 5 types of peppers, several types of
squash, dill, kale (stll harversting it after several frosts) several
types of herbs (oreganos, rosemary, thyme, parsley,) and a few more I've
forgotten. This year my only problem was a loss of tomatoes later in the
summer due to a bunch of rain. I'm not sure exactly what you call the
problem I had but I guess it was some sort of root rot. The tomatoes got
sort of a brown disoloration which turned into sort of a mold looking
white canker. I lost probably a third of my tomatoes to that this year....

Rob
NE PA