[AT] Balling day yesterday

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Mon Oct 11 09:49:40 PDT 2004

On 10/10/2004 at 12:49 PM DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:

>Spencer now you can come out and adjust my IH  baler 46 I can't get the
>darn
>thing to tie right. It either ties one side or the  other but never both
>funny

On IH balers, twine tension and knife placement seem to be the two critical
parameters.  The last adjustment was knife position.   It calls for 1/2"
between cutting edge to the deep "cove" in the twine holder plate(rotate
the knotter up to do this - it is much easier!).  I never could get it to
work with a 1/2" because the twine would cut before the knot was fully
formed and one end would slip out, so I put the knives back down to about
3/8".  It worked but I had 10% bad ties on just one side.   To make matters
worse, the knots would form but would slip when the bales sprung from the
bale chamber so at first I didn't think it was the knife position - I
thought it was knot tension.  That never made much difference so I tried
the knives again.  I sharpened the knives a little better, then put them
back out to about 7/16".   This is what did the trick.

Adjust the twine tension to 11 pounds pull.   As the twine varies in
diameter or varies between roll or brand, you have to keep it adjusted.   A
little too much tension is better than too little.

Good luck,

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!