[AT] Balling day yesterday - update

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Mon Oct 11 09:39:38 PDT 2004

>tractor gods intervened and smote me:  The water pump on my baling
>tractor(Oliver 66 Diesel) froze up.  I had to stop with another 200 bales

Talked with the local Oliver collector yesterday morning after posting and
he did have water pump on a power unit.  So I went to my tractor to see
what wrenches I needed to take over there to take off his water pump.
First, I took off the fan belt.  Then I I took off the the generator
belt(which runs off the water pump pulley).  As I did, the water pump spun.
  A little perplexed I spun the generator and guess what?   The water pump
was not frozen, it was the generator.   Thank God, because that meant I
could finish the hay!  Spent yesterday afternoon baling the rest of the hay
and never turning off the tractor so I wouldn't have to rely on a battery
that now wasn't charging.

When the tractor started squealing, the larger 5/8" fan belt was the one
definitely smoking at the crankshaft pulley.  However, the generator belt
is a smaller 1/2" belt and the fan belt was 5/8" belt.   The both were
equally tight so why the 1/2" fan belt held against a 5/8" belt I couldn't
tell you.   .

I could not find a replacement belt for love nor money (6 different
tractor/auto/hardware stores) but did find a 1/2 belt that was the right
length that worked and kept the water pump spinning.   I have ordered the
proper belt.

250 bales are in the barn.  Anybody need any hay (-;

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net