[AT] Old work boots ramble

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Sat Oct 9 19:32:04 PDT 2004

It was a good work day in central Missouri today also, but I haven't found a
pair of boots that 3-4 good years on this farm wouldn't kill.

The house I grew up in is on the north end of the farm, our new house is on
the south end.  The shop and a few usable buildings remain down there, the
house and 2 larger barns are beyond repair.

The house had a average size yard, plus a front "lawn" that was twice that.
It was a sheep pasture, had the horse shoe pits and 2 huge maple trees.  We
drove along side that, between it and the other buildings to park beside the
house or continue on back to the large barns.  Everything was built on a
flat plateau and there have been potholes, puddles and poor drainage in this
area for as long as I can remember.

Today we moved dirt, I won't know if we completely fixed the problems or
not, but we moved dirt.  I used my old H and a IH drag disk to loosen things
and my son used a box blade to move the humps to the low spots.  I even let
the H drawbar swing like in the old days.

I also took the roto-baler back to the shed for the season.  The shed is
just about 1" bigger than the baler and those things don't back well.  They
set off to the left, you can see one side, but not the other.

We're supposed to get T/S Matthew remenants early in the week, 1-2" of rain,
we just had about that Thursday and Friday.

---