[AT] Dumb tractor hauler truck question

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Oct 8 13:19:35 PDT 2004

Tape is always an option Dave or bigger tires but the tire option would do
away with the pulling advantage I gained with the rear end swap.

However, I am back to my original premise.  After a bit of internet sluthing
I have found the information that I remembered from changing the
transmission out.  It appears to be a secret that GM and the transmission
industry doesn't want told.

On the transmission in my truck there is a plastic gear on the tail shaft.
In the bottom rear of the tail shaft housing there is a bulged out spot
right under that gear.  In that bulge is a machined boss where the
transmission/speedometer sending unit sits.  There is another plastic gear
that runs on the one on the tail shaft on one end and turns the transducer
on the other end.   That gear is changeable and color coded depending on the
rear end and tire combination of the vehicle.  The magnetic pulse for the
speedometer is read after that gear set so switching out the driven gear
changes the frequency of the pulse to the speedometer.

I found the information on a web site and armed with it called two local GM
dealers.  At the second one I got a parts guy that knew what I was talking
about.  He checked his books and gave me a part number.  That number is
tenative because first I need to pull the sending unit out of my
transmission and make sure I have the drive gear (also color coded) that I
think I have.  If it is a 17 tooth gear colored red I'm in business with the
part # the guy gave me.  If not I need to have him look up the other
options.

Thanks for the help guys.

Charlie