[Steam-engine] hobby boilers

travis brown tbkeck at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 18:29:10 PDT 2004

The reason I divided the boilers into three categories is that here in my home state(TN), it does not matter if your boiler has no deterioration and you have the ultrasound results to prove it, if it is a historic traction engine boiler, you will not operate over 100psi.  And its only downhill from there.  One gentleman I met claims to have the only traction engine state certified to operate over 100psi and this is by virtue of having a nearly new Terning built ASME welded boiler.
So far the states that I have located that allow the operation of non-code boilers are as follows: IN, IL IA, KS, PA, TX, CA, WA, OR, FL, MI, MN, GA, SC, MS, OK, and Ohio.  Ohio rules are of course in a state of change.  I think I left out a east coast state.  This is a list compiled from what I have gleaned from reading many, many state rules and regulations, personal observation, and what I have learned from others.  Thanks for the information on the West Coast, I could not find any information at all on CA.  If anyone has any information to the contrary, or wishes to add to this list, all additions or corrections will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks and good steaming!

tb