[AT] Tobacco harvesting

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Oct 4 07:36:04 PDT 2004

Spencer it is probably just a regional  difference in the way it was done.
Farmers were frugal and did things either the only way they could or the
most cost effective way.   I'm quite sure the wooden tobacco sticks used
here went way back to the early 1900's as my father and grand father were
both  tobacco farmers and things like sticks were preserved and used over
and over for many years until they broke.  As long as they were kept dry
they would last for ever.
The interesting thing about the old ones is that once they get wet they are
ruined in a matter of a few days.

As I said earlier, I still have some hand split sticks made by splitting
heart pine with the grain.  They are very irregular in shape and I suspect
would be valuable now to the right people.   By the time I came along in the
in 1950 folks already had lathe mills set up to make tobacco sticks (or
lathe as you said they just didn't call them that around here).  So the hand
split ones would have been from no later than the 1930's I suspect.

I had to come back home because I had an axle bearing go out in my pickup
this morning.  I need to make a trip of about 150 miles today with about 800
lbs in the bed for part of the trip.  The way that bearing is roaring  it
will never make it.  I've tried to rent a pickup and none of  the local car
rental places have one.  None of the local mechanics can get to my truck
today either.  That leaves me with fixing it myself I guess.  While I was in
the middle of writing this my neighbor stopped by and he's offered the use
of his truck if he can change his appointments for this afternoon.  I guess
that will get me out of a bind as the material I was going to haul needs to
be on my construction project by mid afternoon.

It's always something.  Oh well.

Charlie