[AT] Tobacco lathes and Charity Sneak Peak

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Oct 4 04:47:50 PDT 2004

Spencer,  I'll try to elaborate on tobacco farming a bit if others are
interested.  I don't have time to get into it this morning but believe me I
am happy for the oportunity to talk about it.  When I was a child tobacco
farming was looked upon as an honorable profession.
Today it is much maligned and in some circles looked down upon.
All I can tell you is that if you ever find yourself in Duke University
Hospital or if you proudly send your child off to school at Duke, you can
thank tobacco for it.   Well for that matter you can add NC State, Wake
Forrest, Clemson and East Carolina Universities to that list.

I can't imagine tobacco stalks being used as sticks.  They must have saved
them from the previous years crop and dried them.   Burley tobacco is (or
was ) generally havested all at one time by cutting the stalk off with the
leaves still attached ( I think I'm correct about that).  Flue cured tobacco
is harvested from the bottom of the plant up, a few (2 to 4 ) leaves at a
time so the stalk is not available until the whole crop is harvested.  I
guess if properly dried a stalk might make a fair stick but in our barns
down east I can't believe they were ever used.   Here is why.  I've been in
tobacco barns well over 100 years old ( or they would be today if they were
still there).
The basic design never changed from the very old log barns until the early
'70's and the comming of modern bulk barns.   A typical barn consists of 4
or 5 "rooms"   A "room" is about 4 feet wide and is defined by having a
"tier pole" on each side.  These tier poles were originally logs and latter
pine timbers that reached from one end of the barn to the other much like a
coat hanger rod in a closet.   A typical tobacco barn was 20 feet long and
either 16 or 20 feet wide depending on it being a 4 or 6 room barn. ( There
were some 6 and 8 room barns but they were very rare. )   The tier poles are
there to support the ends of the tobacco sticks.  Each "room" shares the
tier poles of the room next to it.   I said ploes in the plural because
their are usually at least 6 tier poles to a room.  They are aranged
directly above each other with the first one being about head high above the
floor with the 2nd one about 3 feet higher and so on to the top.

With that arangement being standard for all tobacco barns (at least in
eastern NC and SC) all tobacco sticks would have to be a standard length and
have a minimum strength.   A tobacco stalk might be over 4 feet long but the
butt end of it would be 1 1/2 to 2 inch diameter and the tip end would be
about 1/2 to 1 inch diameter and probably wouldn't be strong enough to
support hanging wet tobacco.   My guess is that if your  source is correct
then they had a different type of barn than we used.

More later if anyone  wants to hear.

Gotta go to work now.

Charlie