[AT] Put a tentative mark on your calenders

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Oct 3 11:31:29 PDT 2004

         Our U-Pick pumpkin patch is going over well enough this year that
I have decided to start planning right now for a big pumpkin festival here
at TMCOTKU (Shelbyville, Indiana) on the first weekend of October (first
and second) 2005. Part of the event will be an antique tractor show (and
putter) and I want to invite ATIS members to bring tractors or at least
themselves to the event. There will be no general admission to anyone. I
don't know insurance details yet but an about $5 membership fee may or may
not be necessary to cover insurance cost. I still need to talk with my farm
insurance company again to clarify a few details of what they will cover
and what I will need to cover with outside coverage.
         There are millions of details to handle yet and a lot of planning
and preparation to do between now and next Oct. We are right now planning
for about 5 acres or more of U-Pick pumpkins. I intend for it to be a very
busy weekend for anyone who comes. There will be primitive camping
available for exhibitors and some guest and some with limited electrical
available. Slightly like Cubfest 2004 but in a different location and a
"lot" bigger area. All camping will be free.
         I have fallen in love with demonstration activities (when not
under water like Portland) and am planning for a lot of different
activities to watch. As I get planning a little further along I will post
an outline of planned activities (it will be a bunch). We are also planning
hay rides, perhaps by tractor and horse both. All such activities are free.
         If someone would be so kind as to pass this along to the SEL I
would enjoy listening to some engines too.
         Unlike Cubfest which we kept fairly quiet locally this thing could
get pretty big. We will be a lot more ready for this one than I was for
Cubfest. We have been doing a fair amount of cleaning and landscaping since
Cubfest and have a much better sense of direction now.
         Unlike Portland and even the Conner Prairie living history museum
we demo at each year, here we will have hundreds of bushels of corn to
shell and lots of slab wood to buzz saw up. We may also have some sorghum
to squeeze and cook if I can get my timing right.  I have a press but will
have to find or build a cooker. Also here many activities can involve
digging in the dirt a little.
         Mark your calender and I will keep you posted...

"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net