[Farmall] I won! (vanity)

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Sat Oct 2 13:07:52 PDT 2004

Sometimes these jobs are more difficult than they should be. We all know
that removing the front pulley from the crankshaft of a Farmall Cub can be a
difficult job. but this one was particularly stubborn.

I finally won, and wanted to share the experience.

Beginning At the beginning. I'm swapping an engine from a 154 Cub to a '48
F-Cub that had a shot engine. This means swapping a lot of stuff, including
the flywheel/clutch and front pulley. The front pulley on the '48 had the
ears for the hand crank damaged, so I went to Scruffy's old engine for a
better donor. That's where the trouble began.

  1.. The project began normally with rigging my modified puller as I have
done many times in the past. I applied the usual force and then some. no
joy. Under the heavy load, the 1/2 x 20 x 3 1/2 bolt began to bend to the
side.
  2.. I made a bushing to fit the bore of this pulley and with a 1/2" hole
for the bolt so the bolt couldn't bend, and applied more force. Under the
additional force, the jaws of the puller began to spread. I was hoping to
use a different setup with a bearing splitter, but the timing pointer
resisted all efforts to remove it.
  3.. Fearing breaking the pulley flange, I rigged several wraps of aircraft
cable threaded through extra holes in the puller jaws tightly to keep the
jaws from spreading. No joy!
  4.. Now it's time to get serious! I put the impact wrench on the puller
and torqued it up to the maximum. Still no joy!
  5.. It's time for the big guns. Out come the big guns. While the puller is
on maximum pull, I begin to heat the pulley. I apply heat with an AO torch
until the entire hub is glowing a dull red, and the oil inside the engine is
on fire. Still no joy!!!
  6.. Out comes the heavy air chisel, and while the hub is still red, I
hammer on the outside of the hub with a flat tool. a lot, hoping to expand
it a bit. Between the hammering and more rattling with the impact wrench, I
see a very slight movement. As I later found out, the extreme force was
enough to cause the 1/2" bolt to buckle slightly.
  7.. Bottom line. by using progressively longer bolts, I was able to get
the pulley off with the flanges intact.
  8.. I hope none of my friends find one this difficult to get off. This one
will be modified a bit before I put it on the 154 engine.
George Willer