[AT] CA tractor with goofy governor--question

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Fri Oct 1 19:46:44 PDT 2004

My good neighbor has an AC CA tractor that runs great.  He just rebuilt the
lower end and I reconditioned the head for him.  Problem is it will not
stop surging--at idle or under load.  Our books/manuals are very sketchy at
best on how to adjust the governor.  They say to adjust the spring tension
but they don't mention which springs or what tension in pounds!   We
haven't found anything that works.  You can hold the throttle rod from the
governor and steady it up, but any little change of the throttle will start
it surging again.  Anybody with a CA that has had this problem--and figured
the solution?   John

                    In the wide-open spaces of NE Oregon