[AT] Question about modern 4WD tractor (while watching Oliver Super 77 Diesel)

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Nov 30 03:01:16 PST 2004

Generally speaking, unless the manufacturer states otherwise, farm
tractors are designed to be run at rated maximum load for extended
periods of time. (unlike cars, which can only put out their maximum for
short periods, but that is they are made for). The only concern would be
if you were not working on loose soil (i.e. pavement) and running the
front wheel assist - that would be very hard on the front wheel drive
train and tires. But your application is pretty much what the tractor
was built to do. Keep your engine speed up and watch your wheel slip (no
more than 10% is considered ideal). If you are slipping more than 10%,
you need to either adjust your ground speed by changing gears or perhaps
add ballast. Three shanks should not be overloading that tractor.

That is base on what I have read in the various farm literature, not on
any direct experience. So others may be able to give you more accurate
information.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand
Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (1872-1970)