[AT] O/T GM diesel question

Vaughn Miller VMiller at messiah.edu
Mon Nov 29 05:21:43 PST 2004

That sounds like it is most likely a glow plug problem.  A good place to go
for Chevy diesel help is www.dieselplace.com

Vaughn

>>> cmonson at hvc.rr.com 11/28/04 9:01:36 AM >>>
	I have a 98 GMC one ton dump truck with a General Motors diesel
engine in it. I have not noticed any changes in fuel economy or anything
but it has all of a sudden become hard to start. The last couple days
when the temperature was around 30 degrees, which should not be a problem,
it would barely fire and would run on only one or two cylinders and blows
clouds of smoke until all cylinders are firing. Once running, it starts
and runs normally for the rest of the day. This engine is not a Duramax
diesel engine but was made a year before they made the switch.

	If this were my JD crawler with the diesel engine, I would suspect
that several glow plugs were bad but as I have not been able to find a
manual for this engine, I have no idea if it has glow plugs or not or
where to look. The dash has a "Wait to Start" light which works normally
so something is pre-heating - or is supposed to.

	It has a block heater but I can't see keeping it plugged in when
the temperature is only 30 degrees.

	If you have any actual experience with this engine, I would
appreciate hearing from you, on or off List.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson