[AJD] 50 Hitch questions

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Nov 28 10:54:01 PST 2004

Gordon:

Ok, now I understand. I'm a little slow!  :-)  As soon as you mentioned
P838A I knew exactly what the issue was. The fork legs on the P838A's have
been spread apart by being stressed when the two lower draft arms swing out
too far. This happens when the anti-sway chains are not used or connected.
In my experience the legs on the P838A's will spread, then crack and
eventually break off. The space between the two legs should be only a little
bit wider than the draft arm ear they fit around. The pipe spacers have been
added as a farmer expediency fix.

The two legs of the P838A fork can be brought back to where they should be
but I would recommend that it be done by preheating in a very hot oven so
that the cast iron doesn't crack or break. Of all the pieces of the hitch
the P838A's are probably the ones with the highest incidence of being
cracked or welded other than the lower draft arms themselves.

Apparently P838A's are still replaced so often that JD still sells them NOS.
JD has them for a nice tidy sum of $71.00 each. "OUCH!" One of the few 800
series hitch parts that still can be purchased from JD NOS. Installing the
right length connecting pin and hairpin will also prohibit the legs from
spreading too far. The PO probably lost the original pins and installed a
bolt that was too small and too long allowing the legs to be spread.

Two avoid damaging the P838A's again make sure the anti-sway chains are
connected up properly to the drawbar before the hitch is used again.
Reproduction chains, two small clevises and the two special large drawbar
clevises setup are reproduced and sold for about $100 a set plus freight.

Probably not entirely what you wanted to hear but it's one of the weaknesses
of the 800 series hitches. However, with the proper use of the chains and
the right connecting pin, the P838A's won't get damaged.

Finding good used P838A's is next to impossible. I have several 800 series
hitches here and to make them whole again I have had to buy new P838A's as I
couldn't find non broken P838A's used. When one tries to restore an 800
series hitch it is quickly learned why sellers of restored hitches need to
get so much for them. Just to break even.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com