[AJD] JD B flywheel crank

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Nov 25 19:48:51 PST 2004

Duane:

My understanding is this was just the deluxe version of the alternate using
the tractor steering wheel and the special pin. The only other starting
wheel I have ever seen was to be used when one had a two row mounted corn
picker on an electric start tractor and the battery went dead or something
failed. This set-up had a similar wheel but a much longer shaft that went
through the side of the picker to get to the flywheel. Now when thinking
about this I wonder if there was some other kind of setup for hand start
tractors when using a two row corn picker.  Maybe we didn't mount two row
pickers on hand start tractors.

I've been sitting here trying to recall what we did on the farm in the 50's
if the tractor that had the corn picker on it wouldn't start. I sure don't
remember using the wheel mechanism. I think we just pull started it with
another tractor. Hard to remember that far back. As cold and nasty of fall
weather we had in NW Iowa, I'm sure this happened occasionally.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com