[Farmall] Farmall Super MD

BIRDDOG cvill at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 25 04:30:08 PST 2004

Happy Holiday Kevin, and all on the list.

What you describe, Kevin is typical of a clog in a jet or filter screen  in
the carb.  First check the supply from the tank and line to the carb.  If
that is good, see if there is a screen just inside the brass fitting that
connects the gas line to the carb.  If so, clean it with carb cleaner and
air and make sure you can see light thru the fine mesh in the screen.
Beyond that, you may have to remove the carburetor and carefully examine all
jets and passageways for dirt or varnish from dried gas.  The varnish is
often the culprit. Clean all with gumout and compressed air unless you have
a dip tank for it. Usually, new parts are not needed for your situation as
long as you are very careful to preserve all gaskets and parts.  Often if it
is just a small piece of dirt, I have been able to wash it thru by
intermittently choking while the engine is running.

Good luck.  If this helps out, I will expect you to send me a leftover
drumstick.

Charlie V. in WNY.

P.S  When I bought my 700VT Honda shadow, which had not been used in three
years, it would not run unless I completely blocked the air intake.  Found
the main jets to be completely shut off with varnish.  After cleaning them,
it has run like a tiger for five years. On the other hand, had to get into
my MD 10-20 this summer for a combination of carb overflow and lack of
supply to motor at other times (sure sounds like float, doesn't it).  Turned
out the float was gummed up on the pin and would not move up and down
freely.  Simple cleaning seemed to do the fix.