[AT] More trailer questions..

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Thu Nov 18 17:52:50 PST 2004

>   Can anyone on the list give me a few things to check before I
> run into a big problem going down the road with a full load?  I need to add a
> few things to my winter check list.  Thanks.
>
> Enjoy, Joe

	I don't know what others do but what I do is check for heat
on the hubs of my trailer wheels within the first 10 miles or so as
I start on any fairly long trip. I pull over at a convenient or safe
place and feel the hubs with my hands. If I feel any heat I check again
in another 10 miles. Slowing down at Interstate speeds of 70+ mph will
heat the hubs somewhat because of the heat from the trailer brakes so
a little warmth is OK. Mostly they will run cool, however. Then during
the trip whenever I stop I generally do the same thing.

	If a bearing goes bad, it seems to me that it will generally
ruin the tire before anyone notices the problem. I've had motorists
pull up alongside and point to the rear of the trailer and when I
stopped, found I had a flat tire or a bad bearing. This never happens
in a convenient location, BTW.

	Since I put Bearing Buddies on all the hubs on my trailers, I
have not had a problem. These things keep a little spring tension against
the grease. If the zerk fitting goes in toward the inside and more grease
is required, it is a good idea to keep an eye on that wheel as the bearing
could be going bad.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson