[AT] tri-axle trailer question

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 19:24:49 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/17/2004 5:30:47 PM Pacific  Standard Time,
CBear81438 at aol.com writes:
just bought 2 about a month  ago that are rated 20K with a 5K  tongue weight
and
they are not that  heavy.  A lot of weight on 4 ea 1/2  inch  bolts...

Cecil,
I used to work on some big cat engines  with 500 K generators attached. They
weighed 26,000 lbs The first time we went  to lift one with the crane I took a
look at the lifting eye and called the crane  operator over. It was held on
by 6 small 3/8 bolts that went striaght down into  the block. Scared me to
death but we tried it anyway and wouldn't you know we  lifted all 12 of these
engines with no trouble more than once I might say.   Cat does make some strong
bolts. 4140  stamped on the head of each of them.  Thats about twice as hard as
Number 8 bolt.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow  Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361