[AT] Homemade trailers

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Wed Nov 17 07:15:56 PST 2004

Funny you mention that Farmer. Dad has one of those trailers. I cut the
back and made it slope down instead of the rail being square at the
back of the trailer. It worked great for the stock car when I raced
since you had to crawl out the window anyway. Buy not good for a
regular car.

I can relate to the story of the WD. When I bought my WC I got a
surprise when I loaded it. I didn't think much about it since my dad's
Ford 801 would run up between the rails without a problem. The WC
however is a bit wider. I scrubbed the tires until the rim bumped the
side rails. Luckily I only had a short drive home. But at under 20 mph
is still took a while. And even at that speed you could feel the
trailer wanted to drive the truck. Last time I haul it on that trailer.
I can't imagine what your buyer went through!!

Brad

On Nov 17, 2004, at 8:59 AM, Robinson wrote:

> [...]
> employee has a day off you can walk back in on that day and do what
> you want with no problems. There are two DMV offices in this county
> and many that have trouble at the Shelbyville branch get in their car
> and drive 10 miles north to the Morristown branch and walk through the
> process with no problem. They now title all trailers here (they think)
> . They didn't used to. I plan to plate my 32' gooseneck horse trailer
> / small tractor hauler (with living quarters) as an RV.
>         I keep one 3,000# trailer plate, one 12,000# farm trailer
> plate and one RV trailer plate. I have a lot more trailers than
> plates...   ;-)    My farm plate is supposed to be limited in miles
> from the farm but it has been in a number of states. Some guys I know
> of here complain of getting stopped all the time out on the road but I
> have seen the way some of them load and the haphazard way they fasten
> the load down. I always use a lot more chaining than just what is
> required and if anything hangs over or is just even with the bed I
> flag it. A lot of being left alone by law enforcement is looking like
> you are thinking safety instead of just throwing it on the trailer and
> taking off. A lot of the guys that get stopped a lot attract initial
> attention by driving fast for where they happen to be. Here except for
> the DOT officers who are only interested in commercial stuff unless
> someone attracts their attention (like driving too fast or running
> stop signs or unsafe appearing loads) the regular officers don't much
> give a rats behind about the registration stuff or even the equipment
> stuff unless you do something stupid. I know a few of them personally
> that "fudge" a little on trailer stuff.   :-)   Most of them feel that
> their job is safety not bureaucratic stuff. I mentioned the guy
> hauling the WD Allis home up on the rail of the trailer... I'll bet
> every cop he passed on the way home looked him over...   :-)
>

> "farmer"
>
> I am the list owner of the following public email lists:
> Allis_Chalmers
> Budget_muzzleloading
> Cheap-Shelters
> Cheapcomputer
> Cheapcritters
> CheapPower
> FrugalFunWoodworking
> FrugalRuralLiving
> NoNonsenseHorse
> Smallfarmshop
> truck-blab
>
> Some are pretty quiet, some are very busy. Member counts range from 32
> to 570.
> All are on Yahoo Groups and can be found with a search at:
>
> Also a newly created one called "100 Acre Farming" targeting folks who
> operate farms from about 75 acres to 150 acres. Those are not iron
> clad numbers. Midwestern farms in this class require a full line of
> farm equipment unlike much smaller farms but have only a little in
> common with the much larger farms common today.

Brad Gunnells                         |                    #
University of Iowa                    |                    ||
Information Technology Services       |       I_    ___ at ___||_____
Campus Services/ITC Technical Support |   |__ I  \ |Allis Chalmers|
Iowa City IA 52242                    |   ___\___  \ \          WC|
(319)335-5524   FAX (319)335-5505     |   * * *___|__\__________   -|
mailto:brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu        |  *     *----------------\___|
                                       | *   @   *                oo
Interested in almost anything         |  *     *                o  o
besides work!  ;^)                    |   * * *                  oo

     Web Space:  http://www.southslope.net/~gunnells/