[AT] Cummins 250 Information

James Yost jnyost at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 03:42:15 PST 2004

Correct me if I am wrong but when you talk Cummins 250
that meant the HP not the cubic inches. If you think
about it Chevy had the 250 c.i. 6 cylinder. Cummins
were rated in HP as I remember.

These engines were ran some in our semi's where I
worked years ago and we had very little problem.

Thanks, Jim

--- Tom <tmartin at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> "Allen V. Pruehs" wrote:
> >
> > I am looking for information on the Cummins 250
> engine. What problems were
> > these engines prone to? Were they available with a
> higher horsepower output
> > rating; if so, how high? Looking at an old truck
> to haul antique tractors
> > and engines to shows and pulls.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Allen Pruehss
> > SE Michigan
> > Oliver, Hart Parr, Orphans & Oddballs
>
> The most common fault with NH 250s was liner
> pitting, due mainly
> to acidic coolant. The early coolant treatments
> weren't as
> effective as those of today. Apart from that, they
> were robust
> engine.
> Turboed, common ratings went from 270 to 350 hp over
> time. I have
> all the data if you would like some more definitive
> specs..
>
> Tom

=====
Jim and Janna Yost